About this Collection
The Feinstein Center's oral history project consists of 48 interviews which were conducted by staff and volunteers between 1996 and 1999. They sought to capture and record the experiences of Jews who played a significant role in business, political, cultural, educational, philanthropic, and other aspects of the community,
About this Interview
Herbert Barness discusses his family history including his parents' immigration and farm and social life in the rural suburbs in the 20s, where he was one of two Jewish families living in Bucks County, and the effects of the Depression on his family's real estate business. He accounts his personal struggles during World War II, including his recruitment into the Army Air Force where he underwent training in engineering and meteorology to become a communications officer. Herbert recalls his involvement with US Steel, Levittown, and the Bucks County Industrial Development Corporation, which brought industry into the county. His work within the community includes the founding of Bucks County Community College, work with the Delaware Valley College of Science and Agriculture, and his development of international and Section Eight housing.
Biographical / Historical Note
"Preserving the Voices of History: The Feinstein Center Jewish Philadelphia Oral History Project" gathered an oral history collection containing the memory of Jews who were central to the growth and development of the Philadelphia Jewish community. The project focused on interviewing Jews who contributed to the integration of Jews in the larger Philadelphia community and on women and how they have integrated being a woman and being Jewish in the twentieth century.
- Herbert Barness Oral Hhistory, February 26, 1998
- Social reformers, Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
- Barness, Herbert
- Personal Names:
- Barness, Joe, Tose, Leonard
- Geographic Subject:
- Philadelphia (Pa.)
- Organization / Building:
- Doylestown High School (Doylestown, Pa.), Bucknell University, United States Army Air Forces, Bucks County Homebuilding Association, Bucks County Industrial Development Corporation, Bucks County Community College, Delaware Valley College of Science and Agriculture, Welcome House, Philadelphia Eagles (Football team), Keystone Racetrack (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Repository Collection:
- Myer and Rosaline Feinstein Center for American Jewish History Oral Histories
- Oral Histories
- Contact SCRC for the audio recording corresponding to this transcript.
- Transcript Identifier:
Digital Collections Rights Statement for Use of This Content
This material is subject to copyright law and is made available for private study, scholarship, and research purposes only. For access to the original or a high resolution reproduction, and for permission to publish, please contact Temple University Libraries, Special Collections Research Center, email@example.com, 215-204-8257.
Note on ADA Compliance
For Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accommodation, including help with reading this content, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org