About this Collection
The Feinstein Center's oral history project consists of 48 interviews which were conducted by staff and volunteers between 1996 and 1999. They sought to capture and record the experiences of Jews who played a significant role in business, political, cultural, educational, philanthropic, and other aspects of the community,
About this Interview
Matti Gershenfeld recalls her family history, childhood, and education at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. She recounts her experiences of sexism as the only woman who attended the Wharton School during the late 40s. As a result of her schooling she discusses her part time work with community colleges and community groups which led to her pursing a psychology degree at Temple. She emphasizes her obstacles of being a woman and parent pursuing an academic program, observations of women's issues in education, and her development of the Institute of Awareness which focused on personal development within the community.
Biographical / Historical Note
"Preserving the Voices of History: The Feinstein Center Jewish Philadelphia Oral History Project" gathered an oral history collection containing the memory of Jews who were central to the growth and development of the Philadelphia Jewish community. The project focused on interviewing Jews who contributed to the integration of Jews in the larger Philadelphia community and on women and how they have integrated being a woman and being Jewish in the twentieth century.
- Matti Gershenfeld Oral History, March 11, 1998
- Jewish physicians, Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
- Gershenfeld, Matti K.
- Personal Names:
- Gaynor, Mary
- Geographic Subject:
- Philadelphia (Pa.)
- Organization / Building:
- Har Zion Temple (Philadelphia, Pa.), Overbrook High School (Philadelphia, Pa.), University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, Pa.), Philadelphia City Planning Commission, Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, Federation of Community Councils (Philadelphia, Pa.), B'nai B'rith Women, Temple University (Philadelphia, Pa.), Institute of Awareness (Philadelphia, Pa.), Pennsylvania Council of Family Relations, Pennsylvania Association of Family Therapists, Couple's Learning Center (Philadelphia, Pa.), Gratz College (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Repository Collection:
- Myer and Rosaline Feinstein Center for American Jewish History Oral Histories
- Oral Histories
- Contact SCRC for the audio recording corresponding to this transcript.
- Transcript Identifier:
Digital Collections Rights Statement for Use of This Content
This material is subject to copyright law and is made available for private study, scholarship, and research purposes only. For access to the original or a high resolution reproduction, and for permission to publish, please contact Temple University Libraries, Special Collections Research Center, firstname.lastname@example.org, 215-204-8257.
Note on ADA Compliance
For Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accommodation, including help with reading this content, please contact email@example.com